Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 6

It was an exercise I remember from long ago but back then I guess my mind wasn’t open to adopting the practice or recognising its power. I love analogies; they are helpful as reminders and reinforce my learning. The unexceptional orange was used as a powerful symbol at the Practising our Faith meeting yesterday. The segments of the orange were likened to the different parts we are made up of such as body, mind, soul and spirit. As the skin was peeled away we were encouraged to confess our failures to love and be loved. Typically I forgot this specific focus as I headed away with intact orange and bowl. Instead I imagined God’s desire to have me shed my thick, pithy sins and the worldly followings I clutch to thus revealing the person He created me to be. As I peeled the fruit I noticed how difficult it was to get started with thumbprint sizes being discarded instead of smooth lengths winding around the orange. Despite having not yet penetrated the flesh I had juice dribbling down my fingers; a promise of what’s to come. The blue willow pattern of the bowl provided a beautiful contrast to the orange peel and I wondered whether God too found this process a beautiful thing. As I shedded the heavy coat I tried to identify ways and thinking that needed ridding; something that I think will become clearer with practise. While consuming the flesh I thanked God for the good in me – again something that may become easier with practise and praised Him for His bounteous love. I am looking forward to my next orange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...I wondered whether God too found this process a beautiful thing."

I like this line of thought. It expresses something of God's delight in each of us. I wonder if God sighs in satisfaction too?